Monday, December 17, 2012

I'm About to Make You Really Hungry

If there's anything this travel course has taught me, it's that small-scale traveling is traveling too. I've been to a few new spots on campus this semester, from walking new paths to old destinations, to trying new food - the latter of which I'm going to write about now.

Before this semester I had never been to iSlice (International Slice Pizza), a popular pizza place at the top of campus. I'm picky about pizza; I grew up in New Haven and regularly eat at Pepe's. But I do have a soft spot for single-slice pizza. It's like pizza on the go, pizza in a perfectly not-too-filling meal, pizza that you won't overeat because it'll actually run out after one or two slices. The only excuse I have for not going before is that I didn't expect much from it - why waste my time with mediocre pizza when there's a perfectly good Mexican place around the corner?

I was promoted to a team leader at work for this semester, and every week the team leaders and our supervisor (5 of us in all) get lunch and talk about work. Going to iSlice seemed to be a time-honored tradition, and who was I to argue with that? I'd heard fantastic things about their garlic pizza, so I got a slice of that, and also a slice of "white," which looked like margherita with chunks of feta all over it.

It was what I would describe as a transcendent pizza experience - something I had only before experienced at Pepe's and a place in Brooklyn called Grimaldi's. It's when - whether it is you who is in the state to receive great pizza, or the pizza just being supremely delicious - the pizza you are eating is just perfect. This was my experience with the slice of white. Perfectly greasy, salty, warm, with thick tomatoes and even crisp and flavorful crust. I'm sure the garlic would have yielded a similar experience, had I eaten that slice first. As it was, I couldn't finish them both (they're big!) but they were both amazing.

The lesson here is to try new things despite your own expectations, and possibly that you can never go wrong with slice pizza :)


No comments:

Post a Comment