Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Ivy Noodle



When I got home this week, my Dad and I were feeling adventurous and decided to try a new restaurant: The Ivy Noodle in downtown New Haven (home of the best restaurants around, as it happens!).


There wasn't a lot of seating inside - it was a narrow place and the tables were up against the wall, opposite a bar which my Dad and I sat at. Still, the place was busy, and the staff was quick and efficient as I could hope for. I ordered chicken lo mein and my Dad ordered wonton soup, and we watched them prepare the food behind the bar while we waited.

I wish I had thought to take pictures when the food came, because they first thing I noticed was that it was aesthetically pleasing. My lo mein was piled high on a plate, long noodles and strips of chicken and large pieces of bok choy glistening and steaming and promising the best of flavors. My dad's soup was even better: in a deep bowl with a large, ladle-like spoon, the wontons floated in a relatively clear broth, surrounded by strikingly green vegetables and green onions. I had to try his even before digging into mine. 

Speaking of mine, it was the best lo mein I've ever tasted. While most Chinese food places produce food that simply tastes fried, with noodles that are overcooked and mediocre flavors, this food simply seemed more "real." The noodles were perfectly cooked, for one. Whatever sauce covered it was delicious and tasted smoky, but what I really remember was the bok choy - I'm usually digging for the chicken in these kinds of dishes, but the bok choy was crisp and they had somehow brought out an indescribable and delicious flavor from it. I felt like I could have scarfed this dish down for hours, but the portion was so generous that I regrettably couldn't even finish - oh well, more for me later! My only regret is that I didn't take pictures, because looking at the food was almost as good as eating it. If you're ever in New Haven, do stop by the Ivy Noodle - after Pepe's, that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment